Now in Stock!
What is a "Deadlift" bar and why would you need one?
If you are really serious about your lifting, and moving some serious weight, like deadlifts of 600 lbs, 700 lbs, 800 lbs, or even more, a deadlift bar may be perfect for you.
StrongArm Deadlift bars are:
- More flexible than a regular power bar. Deadlifting on a regular bar means pulling from a "dead" start, in other words, from zero to 100% of the weight all at once. With a more flexible bar though, the centre of the bar will rise a few inches before the weights start to lift, and when they do the plates that are on the inside will lift first, moving towards the outer edge. The result of this is a smoother, more progressive acceleration of the weight, allowing you to lift more actual weight. Most lifters that use a deadlift bar will tell you that they can pull 40 or 50 lbs more with a deadlift bar compared to a standard power bar.
- Thinner than a regular power bar. Most power bars are 29 or 30 mm, a StrongArm deadlift bar is 27 mm. This thinness contributes to the flexibility, and also lets you get more of your hands and fingers around the bar. Particularly important if you use the double overhand "hook" grip.
- Longer sleeves than a regular bar. The longer sleeves allow for more weight to be put on, especially necessary if you are using gym plates, that tend to be wider than competition plates. The long shaft also contributes to the progressive pull that the DL bar is known for.
- Knurling tend to come in two varieties, small, fine points, with sharp tips, or large points with flat tips, (sometimes a bit concave, "volcano" shaped. When we designed our DL bars we told the manufacturer we wanted the best of both worlds, large points, sharply tipped.
Here's a closeup:
- Knurling where you need it, not where you don't. Sumo deadlifting is taking over Powerlifting. Yet 99.9 of the bars you see sumo lifters using are made for conventional deadlifting, and they wind up gripping the bar on the smooth part, and least partly, while the knurling rubs on their legs during the pull. We thought we could do better. So we designed a bar with knurling in the middle, where the hands will be, and no knurling where it slides on the legs.
Flat rate shipping in Canada, $40 to any location.
USA customers, please visit our US site, strongarmsport.us
Want to keep that new bar looking and feeling new? Use StrongBar barbell lubricant and rust protectant on it!
$16.95 a bottle.
For $359 you won't find a better bar for deadifting than ours.
Below is review of our Conventional deadlift bar, the same bar except for different knurling configuration.
Great bar for the price! Knurling is perfect for grip. Only complaint is knurling being 5/8 inch off centre. You MUST mark the bar to get a balanced grip...Quick fix!
This is the first time we are hearing this Brent, hopefully it's just your bar. We will mention it to the manufacturers.
Bar is awesome and I find it better to do deadlifts than an Olympic bar. Reasonably priced too compare to other competitors. I highly recommend this bar.
The StrongArmSport sumo-deadlift barbell is excellent. It's a very well engineered barbell, something which is evident in the details of its build. I particularly love the bite of the knurling, when you pick this thing up you instantly know there'll be no need to concentrate on keeping your hands clamped. There's a beautiful amount of bend when loaded, owing to the spring steel shaft. It's a very smooth lift. The barbell was also well packed and arrived promptly. I'll add that the service I received from StrongArmSport was exemplary. Mike really worked hard to answer my many questions prior to buying, and to see me receive delivery all the way to the UK. I think StrongArmSport is an international hidden gem of strength sport equipment and accessories!
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this company and their products to anyone.
No more bloody shins from knurling ripping you open haha. Something you didn't know you needed until you have it! It pulls so smoothly and you can hook grip the crap out of the smaller bar.
Highly, highly recommend.
Best sumo bar on the market for the money. Period. Great whip, knurling on bar with the Rogue powerbar and Pepin dumbbells if you are familiar with either. 10/10